Relocating to UOW

Visa information


UOW is focussed on attracting academics from the Illawarra and around the world. Academics who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents must hold a visa that meets the primary purpose of their visit/appoint, allowing them to undertake their proposed activities/work whether in a paid or unpaid capacity.

UOW may sponsor, employ or invite individuals from overseas within designated occupational categories (as approved by the Australian Federal Government).

Following is a brief overview of work and visitor visas options, available to potential staff, current staff and international visiting academics.

Temporary and Permanent Visa options for employees

Temporary Work (skilled) visa (subclass 457)
This visa allows the University to fill skilled vacancies with overseas workers on a temporary basis when positions cannot be filled by an Australian Citizen or permanent resident. The visa can be granted for a period of 1 day up to 4 years with the visa validity period generally being consistent with the length of the employment contract.

This visa is currently undergoing some changes.

Applications for this visa must be lodged online through Immi Account

Permanent Residency – Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS subclass 186)
This visa option allows the University to nominate a skilled worker for permanent residency. To nominate the worker for permanent residency, they must have an employment contract that allows the worker to be employed full time in the nominated positon for at least a minimum of 2 years from the date the permanent visa is granted.

Detailed information about the ENS 186 can be found on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Applications for this visa must be lodged online through Immi Account.

Visas for Visiting Academics & Occupational Trainees

  • Temporary Work (short stay specialist) visa (subclass 400)
  • Training visa (subclass 407)
  • Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408)

Further information on these visas will be available shortly.

Short term Business and Visitor Visa options

There are a number of visa options available for short term visits. It is the responsibility of the visa holder to ensure that the visa they apply for meets the primary purpose of their visit.

Visiting Researchers should not apply for a tourist or visitor visa if the primary purpose of their visit is collaborative research. Other short term options are available. Information about visitor visas can be found here.

Student Visas

Prior to engaging a student for paid employment, the student must provides evidence that they have the right to undertake paid employment. Not all student visas have the same work conditions. The student must provide a Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) check which is linked to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection database and outlines the visa conditions for the student. If the student is unable to provide this, you can request the student to contact the University’s Immigration Consultant who will conduct a VEVO on the student’s behalf. The University must have the visa holder’s permission to undertake the VEVO. Information about VEVO can be found here.

Visa Nomination and Application Costs

Where UOW has agreed to sponsor an individual's visa nomination, the cost is passed on to the relevant work area. Refer to the Visa pricing estimator for up to date information here.

All costs associated with the visa application are the responsibility of the individual This includes visa application fees, health and character checks and health insurance.

Contact details

For more information about immigration or to talk about specific cases please contact:
The University’s Recruitment Unit
Phone 4221 4494 or email

Department of Immigration and Border Protection
General enquiry line 131 881 or

Last reviewed: 29 June, 2017